jueves, 24 de diciembre de 2009

Alice´s evidence

Here! cried Alice, quite forgetting in the flurry of the moment how large she had grown in the last few minutes, and she jumped up in such a hurry that she tipped over the jury-box with the edge of her skirt, upsetting all the jurymen on to the heads of the crowd below, and there they lay sprawling about, reminding her very much of a globe of goldfish she had accidentally upset the week before.
Oh, I BEG your pardon! she exclaimed in a tone of great dismay, and began picking them up again as quickly as she could, for the accident of the goldfish kept running in her head, and she had a vague sort of idea that they must be collected at once and put back into the jury-box, or they would die.

The trial cannot proceed, said the King in a very grave voice, until all the jurymen are back in their proper places-- ALL, he repeated with great emphasis, looking hard at Alice as he said do.




The White Rabbit put on his spectacles. Where shall I begin, please your Majesty? he asked.

Begin at the beginning, the King said gravely, and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

These were the verses the White Rabbit read:--

They told me you had been to her,
And mentioned me to him:
She gave me a good character,
But said I could not swim.

He sent them word I had not gone
(We know it to be true):
If she should push the matter on,
What would become of you?


I gave her one, they gave him two,
You gave us three or more;
They all returned from him to you,
Though they were mine before.


If I or she should chance to be
Involved in this affair,
He trusts to you to set them free,
Exactly as we were.


My notion was that you had been
(Before she had this fit)
An obstacle that came between
Him, and ourselves, and it.


Don't let him know she liked them best,
For this must ever be
A secret, kept from all the rest,
Between yourself and me.


That's the most important piece of evidence we've heard yet, said the King, rubbing his hands; so now let the jury--